ة ت ج خ د س ر ظ ع ف ك ل م ن و ى ق ظ ش ح غ ئ أ ب إ ء آ ة
ط ض ز
Course Syllabus: Arabic 123
Item # 1420
Instructor: Samad Chakour
Time and Place: 3:00-5:10 PM, M/W A-243
Office Hours: M/W 2:30-3:00PM A-245 B
▪ Text Book: Al-Kitaab Fii Taallum al-Arabiyya (with DVDs) 2nd Edition.
By: Kristen Brustad- Abbas Al-Tonsi- Mahmoud Al-Batal (available at the bookstore).
Additional materials will be supplied on as-needed basis.
▪ Arabic Verbs & Essentials of grammar: A Practical Guide in the Mastery of Arabic.
Jane Wightwick, Mahmoud Jaafar.
Course Description and Objectives:
Welcome to Arabic 123. This course is the continuation of Arabic 122 and designed for students who have completed both Arabic 121 and 122 or equivalent course work.
The objective of this course is to develop the students ability to communicate in Modern Standard Arabic using all language skills (listening, reading, speaking and writing). Successfully completing this course, students should have knowledge and understanding in the following areas:
-Knowledge of basic Arabic grammar.
-Describe activities, professions, events, and places.
-Development and comprehension of more Arabic vocabulary.
-Expressing oneself orally and in writing.
-Discuss the diversity of cultures in the Arab world.
-Use of Arabic/English/Arabic dictionary.
▪ Attending and participating in all class activities are very important.
▪ Doing homework assignments is essential to keep up with new materials and
assignments throughout the quarter.
▪ Prepare for the upcoming lesson. This is a daily assignment.
▪ You are expected to do all exercises / drills in your Text Book.
▪ Please submit your Home Work in order and stapled together.
Your final grade will be based on the following components:
▪ Attendance and class participation 20%
▪ Homework and assignments 25%
▪ Four Tests 35%
▪ Oral presentation 5%
▪ Final Exam 15%
59 & Below
Students are reminded that they are responsible for being aware of obeying the colleges rules regarding academic misconduct. Therefore, cheating and plagiarizing are not tolerated in this class.
Attendance is mandatory and it is a part of your grade. Points will be deducted for every absence. Please be on time.
If you have medical information to share with me in the event of an emergency, please contact me via email or come to see me during office hours. Emergency preparedness is important!
If you need course modifications / adaptations or accommodations because of a disability, I can refer you to our Disability Resource Center (DRC).
If you prefer, you may contact them directly by going t
This is ONLY a Tentative Schedule (changes will be announced in class):
Week 1 .Lesson-9
HW: 11, 8, 2: ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ
Week 2 .Lesson-9
HW: (ﻗﺼﺔ) 18, 16, 15: ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ and ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ:1(10-unit)
Week 3 .Lesson-10
Week 4 .Lesson-11
HW: (ﻗﺼﺔ) 21-17-8-1: ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ and ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ:2 (12-unit)
Week 5 .Lesson-12
Week 6 .Lesson-12
HW: (ﻗﺼﺔ) 21-20-19: ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ and ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ:1(13-unit)
Week 7 ...Lesson-13
HW: ﻗﺼﺔ) ) 17-16-8-7 : ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ
and ﺘﻣﺭﻴﻥ:2 (14-unit)
HW: TO BE ASSIGNED
Week-10: Review/oral presentations
● Assignments are due on Mondays (no credit for late submission).
●Tutoring is available.
● Study group is highly recommended.
● If you have to miss a class, find out what you missed and do your best
to catch up with us.
● Language learning is incremental. Doing HW assignments on
regular basis is essential to your success in this class.
DO NOT allow yourself to fall behind.
●Please dont hesitate to come see me if you ever have questions or
problems regarding the class.