So you want to become a tutor? That’s great! Here’s what you need to know before you apply.
- The ability to communicate effectively with a multicultural population
- The desire to facilitate learning and empower students to succeed independently
- Awareness of a variety of learning styles
- Overall GPA of 3.2 or above, either currently or in previous education
- A or B+ in subject areas you wish to tutor
- Required attendance to all tutor training sessions
- For current students – instructor approval (signature and course number) is required for each course you plan to tutor.
- For non-students – departmental approval (signature and course number) is required for each course you plan to tutor. Please present your transcript to the appropriate departmental office so they can make the correct recommendation.
- Completed application (including one academic or employment reference)
- Commitment to tutor for one academic year (September through June) is preferred
- Salary range is $9.04 - $10.00 per hour, depending on experience
- If you are a student, you may work up to 19 hours each week
- If you are not a student, you may work up to 17 hours each week
- Complete a Tutor Application [PDF]
- Attach a copy of your unofficial transcript for evaluation/verification
- Turn in your application at the front desk in D204. If you have any additional question, please contact the front desk at 425-564-2200.
- If positions are available, you will contacted for an interview.
Following approval of your employment, additional hiring paperwork will be required. Please be prepared to submit documents that will confirm your eligibility to work in the United States. See attached I-9 form for a list of acceptable documents :
A brief orientation session will be conducted at the beginning of the quarter, during which time you will complete all your new hire paperwork..
During the quarter, a mandatory 8-hour training session will be scheduled. Upon completion of the training and 25 hours of tutoring, you will receive an internationally recognized certificate verifying completion of the College Reading & Learning Association’s tutor training.
BC reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race or ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation including gender identity or expression, age marital or family status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran. Please visit http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/equal.asp for more information.