- All Writing Lab workshops are free and open to Bellevue College students, faculty, and staff.
- Workshops are 50 minutes long.
- No registration is necessary, just show up.
Fall Quarter 2014 Workshops
For older workshops, see the archive below.
Tuesday, Nov. 18
What does MLA mean? Is documentation different from a citation?
How do we avoid plagiarism?
This workshop will explain these terms and demonstrate how to document sources in the MLA style.
Wednesday, November 12
Tuesday, October 21
Time: 10:30AM to 11:20AM and 1:30-2:20PM
In the morning, Isaiah will conduct a workshop on
when to use this oft-abused mark of punctuation.
In the afternoon, Kayleen will discuss 5 rules to rely on
when using the comma.
You will learn:
- Five questions that help you consider your audience, and
- How to use your syllabus to figure out what your instructor wants.
You will learn:
- The necessary parts of a thesis statement,
- How to write topic sentences, and
- Three methods of transitioning between paragraphs.
Types of Essays
- How to write an argument that is a conversation with your audience,
- Templates that have been used in successful academic writing, and
- The necessary parts of an argumentative essay.
- Questions to ask yourself before writing a descriptive essay,
- Words to use in a descriptive essay, and
- Words and phrases to avoid in a descriptive essay.
- Techniques for improving your descriptions
A Prezi on few of the ways to put more effective descriptions into your sentences!
Marshall Period, the sentence sheriff, arrests sentences
when they’re finished with their subjects.
Dr. Question Mark inquires about everything.
And the broad-shouldered security guard-for-hire, Square Brackets,
makes sure delicate changes can get through a rough-and-tumble quotation.
In this workshop, you’ll meet, or become reacquainted with,
these and many other characters from the town of Punctuation!
- Identify run-on sentences, and
- Four main ways to correct run-on sentences.
Articles: A, An, and The (PDF)
In this workshop you will
- Brainstorm how many article rules you already know,
- Identify and practice using articles, and
- Discover the rules are simpler than you may think!