- All Writing Lab workshops are free and open to Bellevue College students, faculty, and staff.
- Workshops are 50 minutes long.
- No registration is necessary, just show up.
Winter Quarter 2016
Writing Lab Workshops
For older workshops, see the archive below.
Tuesday, January 12
An effective personal statement plays a significant role in who will be admitted to university.
The Writing Lab will be hosting workshops on writing an engaging and compelling narrative which focuses on strengths,
accomplishments, and relevant experiences university admissions committees seek.
Planning for Success: English Composition and Academic Culture
Thursday, January 14
Commas: Five Rules to Write By
Tuesday, January 26
Working Collaboratively on Writing Projects
Tuesday, February 2
Using Your Learning Style for Success in the Writing Process
Wednesday, February 10
Documentation in MLA Style
Tuesday, February 16
- Five questions that help you consider your audience, and
- How to use your syllabus to figure out what your instructor wants.
- The necessary parts of a thesis statement,
- How to write topic sentences, and
- Three methods of transitioning between paragraphs.
- The elements of effective thesis statements and ways to write them
Types of Writing
- How to write an argument that is a conversation with your audience,
- Templates that have been used in successful academic writing, and
- The necessary parts of an argumentative essay.
- Questions to ask yourself before writing a descriptive essay,
- Words to use in a descriptive essay, and
- Words and phrases to avoid in a descriptive essay.
- Identify ineffective description
- Resources for alternative vocabulary
- Tools for revising description
- Techniques for improving your descriptions
Résumés (a Prezi) by Sheila de Leon
- Five key steps to writing a great resume along with
a top ten list of tips that will help your resume stand out from the rest.
Marshall Period, the sentence sheriff, arrests sentences
when they’re finished with their subjects.
Dr. Question Mark inquires about everything.
And the broad-shouldered security guard-for-hire, Square Brackets,
makes sure delicate changes can get through a rough-and-tumble quotation.
In this workshop, you’ll meet, or become reacquainted with,
these and many other characters from the town of Punctuation!
- Identify run-on sentences, and
- Four main ways to correct run-on sentences.
Articles: A, An, and The (PDF)
In this workshop you will
- Brainstorm how many article rules you already know,
- Identify and practice using articles, and
- Discover the rules are simpler than you may think!