Ally focuses on making digital course content more accessible. Ally is a tool that integrates into Canvas and works to support content creators ensure that the materials they are creating and using are accessible.
Watch and learn more from this video created by SBCTC: Ally Overview
- When uploading content, Ally will scan the file and produce an accessibility score. This score is symbolized by a little gauge next to the document/image (on the Canvas page, the modules list, and in the Files list). The gauge will be red, yellow, or green depending on the score.
- The score and the color gauge is visible only to Instructors.
- When you click on the gauge explanation of the problem and guidance on fixing the problem appears.
- When you add a file to Canvas, Ally will produce alternative formats. To view/access those formats, you click on the little editing wheel.
- Currently, the following formats seem to be the ones provided:
- Tagged PDF version
- HTML version
- ePub version
- Electronic braille version
- Students will see a drop-down selection of various accessible formats.
- Ally allows Canvas administrators to run institutional reports to monitor institution-wide accessibility improvement over time.
Last Updated August 31, 2017