Class Supplies: Watercolor for Illustration with Sandy Haight
You will need:
- Paper: (This will be provided by Bellevue College.)
- 2 sheets Arches 140# cold pressed paper, 22” x 30”.
- 1 sheet divided in half (15” x 22”).
- Other sheet(s) divided into quarters for practice.
- Brushes: (Sable if you can afford it. Synthetic is ok. Or, bring what you already own.)
- Rounds: #4, #7, #12. (#7 for the 1st day of class)*
- Flats: 1” and 1/2”. (1” for the 1st day of class)*
- Wash: 2” – 3” Chinese hake or flat watercolor brush. 2” watercolor brush preferred, but it’s expensive.
- Scrubber brush (optional)
- Robert E. Wood palette or any similar palette with lid and plenty of mixing area.*
- Aureolin yellow
- Yellow ochre
- Alizarin Crimson
- Rose madder
- Cobalt blue
- Prussian or Thalo blue
- Burnt Umber
- Cadmium red light
- Pigment: (Recommended, but optional)
- Ultramarine blue
- Cerulean blue
- Payne’s Grey
- Cadmium Orange
- Burnt Sienna
- Pthalo green
- Sap green
- Cadmium yellow light
- New Gamboge
- Board: (This is used for stretching paper)
- 15+” x 22+” x 1/2″ thick gator board for 1/2 sheet paintings (best choice)
- Or, 16” x 24” untreated 1/4” – 1/2” plywood
- Water container (Brush Basin, or something with a lid is nice to prevent spills)*
- Paper towels (I recommend VIVA brand for softness) or soft cloth, towel, rag or sponge*
- Elephant ear sponge
- Pencils (2B – 6B for drawing. 2H – 4H for transferring)*
- Kneaded eraser*
- Windsor Newton or Utrecht brands watercolor masking fluid and old brushes
- or #2 taper point shaper for masking finer details.
- Drafting tape
- Hair dryer (Will be available in class)
- Light duty staple gun (Will be available in class)
Items marked with an asterisk will be needed for first day of class.
All items are available at:
- Daniel Smith Art supply stores and online:
4150 1st Ave. S, Seattle, WA 98134
Phone: (206) 223-9599
15112 NE 24th St., Redmond, WA 98052
Phone: (425) 643-1781
Show this supply list with the code # TRP00623 for a student discount.
- Artists and Craftsman Supply
4350 8th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105
All basic materials may be available at the BC North campus bookstore at (425)564-5711.