ACCT& 201 Principles of Accounting I • 5 Cr.
Presents the nature and social setting of accounting, uses of accounting information, and basic concepts and procedures. The first accounting course required of business administration students planning to transfer to a four year college or university. Prerequisites: ENGL& 101 with a C or better. Math 138 or higher with C or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify the purpose and uses of financial accounting
- Apply basic accounting principles and assumptions to business transactions
- Employ double-entry bookkeeping to record and report on basic business operational transactions in an accounting system
- Describe the impact of basic operating transactions on a business’s financial position
- Critically analyze a business’s financial position and operational results
- Discuss the origins of fraud and means by which a business may protect itself from it
- Demonstrate business communications skills through a variety of assessments such as team assignments, oral presentations, and written documents