AHE 140 Professional Relationships in Healthcare • 5 Cr.
Includes interpersonal communication with patients, families, and co-workers. Developing communication skills, cultural competencies, and maintaining customer satisfaction in health care settings. Introduces HIPAA compliance in communication. Previously HPRO 130. Either HPRO 130 or AHE 140 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Examine his/her own self-perceptions related to communication, culture, diversity and pluralism in the health care environment.
- Distinguish appropriate, active and effective communication methods across race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or other protected status.
- Evaluate and apply standards of responsible and confidential communications as required in health care practice.
- Apply effective communication strategies for the professional environment while interacting with coworkers, in team environments, and using appropriate conflict management techniques for both patients and other professionals.
- Identify resources as needed for personal cultural competency and for assisting patients.