AHEA 118 Health Unit Coordinator Practicum • 5 Cr.
Capstone course of the Health Unit Coordinator program allows students an opportunity to apply skills learned in the classroom. Students perform functions required in a nursing unit and are monitored and supervised by an experienced Health Unit Coordinator. Prerequisite: Completion of AHEA 110 and AHEA 112 with a C or better at BC, and permission of the instructor. Previously HPRO 176. Either HPRO 176 or AHEA 118 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Communicate effectively and professionally with workplace patients and staff
- Perform admissions, discharges, internal and outside transfers
- Accurately transcribe medication, laboratory, diagnostic imaging, electrocardiograms, electroencephalograms, activity, positioning and therapeutic orders
- Perform job related technical tasks utilizing computer software
- Demonstrate awareness and respect for cultural differences
- Identify emergency code procedures for the hospital setting
- Spring 2017 (current quarter)