AHEE 126 Emergency Department Technician • 7 Cr.
Covers the skills needed to assist in a hospital emergency room as an Emergency Department Technician. Includes the basic skills and knowledge necessary to stabilize patients and assist physicians in life-saving procedures. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C or better. Successful completion of AHE 100, 110, 120, 130, 140; HLTH 145; AHEP 100, AHEL 110, and BTS 161 with a C or better at BC; or permission of instructor. Previously HPRO 180. Either HPRO 180 or AHEE 126 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess emergency situations and perform necessary procedures
- Utilize specialized medical equipment
- Perform wound care, irrigation, and preparation before physicians begin suturing
- Assist in orthopedic splinting procedures
- Assist with specimen collection
- Use restraints and Code Grey
- Ambulate patients as appropriate/ordered
- Assist with patient monitoring for cardiac, respiratory, nervous, and genito-urinary emergencies