AHEL 112 Advanced Phlebotomy • 5 Cr.
Expands on the basic responsibilities and skills for the laboratory phlebotomist. This course is for students pursuing phlebotomy specific credentialing, by providing refinement of and advanced techniques for phlebotomy. Prerequisite: Successful completion of AHEL 110 with a C or better at BC or permission of the instructor. No more than one quarter between completion of AHEL110 and enrollment in AHEL112. Recommended: Completion of 2 of 3 Hepatitis B vaccinations.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify difficult or complicated blood collection situations.
- Apply mitigation techniques for difficult blood draw.
- Differentiate the appropriate selection criteria for varying blood collection techniques.
- Identify specialized hematology testing and variations in technique and application of collection.
- Fall 2014 (current quarter)