AHEL 122 Advanced Clinical Laboratory • 5 Cr.
Second course in a series designed to prepare students to work in a clinical laboratory setting. Provides expanded laboratory focused work including regulatory standards; quality assurance practices; and advanced clinical laboratory procedures. Prerequisite: Completion of AHEL 120 with a C or better at BC or permission of instructor. Previously HPRO 147. Either HPRO 147 or AHEL 122 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge and skills for computerized laboratory systems
- Apply the theory associated with multiple modalities of testing for point-of-care (POC), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA Waived), and moderately complex test
- Interpret test results compared to standard values
- Identify the need for quality assurance based on test results.
- Identify professional, employment, and certification requirements for the discipline