ALDAC 240 Chemical Dependency Psychopathology • 4 Cr.
Examines the interaction of substance abuse and dependence with co-occurring psychological disorders. Explores the biological psychological and social influences on the use and abuse of substances, theories of addiction, and common myths and realities of alcoholism and drug addiction.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify common cultural and societal myths and realities of the psychopathology of substance use, abuse, dependence and co-occurring disorders
- Identify limitations on CDP scope of practice evaluating and treating co-morbid disorders
- Demonstrate an understanding of processes for making referrals for detailed evaluation and assessment of mood, thought and personality disorders complicating the treatment of chemical dependency.
- Demonstrate recognition of the affects of transient signs and symptomology of mood, thought and personality disorders in chemical dependency treatment settings and on the recovery process.
- Demonstrate recognition of the value and complications associated with the use of psychotropic medications in chemical dependency treatment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of theories and models used to treat co-morbidity.
- Fall 2014 (current quarter)