ART 150 Basic Photo I • 5 Cr.
Introduces basic camera handling, developing, printing, and composition with black-and-white film. Students should own a camera with manual exposure control and must supply their own film, and photographic paper. Requires four hours lecture, two hours lab per week.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Operate a manual exposure camera.
- Determine the correct exposure settings for a variety of subjects.
- Process exposed black and white film into negatives.
- Operate an enlarger in the making of black and white contact sheets and prints on photo paper.
- Identify basic rules of picture composition.
- Evaluate photographs in terms of its technical control.
- Evaluate photographs in terms of its visual content.
- Articulate their motivations, conceptual intent, and feelings about the work they present in critique.
- Offer constructive criticism to their classmate about the work they present at critique.