ART 245 Watercolor I • 5 Cr.
This course presents basic instruction in watercolor painting. Students use watercolor to paint objects and forms from both direct observation and imagination. Students gain skill in techniques unique to the watercolor process. Requires additional lab time outside of class. Recommended: ART 120.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- After completing this course, students should be able to:
- •see formal components of a subject and translate them accurately, with correct scale, proportion and contour
- •translate visual images with color only
- •observe and translate light and shadow on a subject using a wide range of values and color combinations
- •plan and determine compositional variables in a painting
- •create the illusion of advanced space in a painting through the use of atmospheric perspective
- •observe and translate space the use of washes
- •analyze and verbally articulate painting objectives in a formal critique/review process
- •successfully execute washes and other various watercolor techniques