BIOL 135 Introduction to Global Health • 5 Cr.
Introduction to the principles of global health, health determinants, health care systems, nutrition, and women's health issues in the world. The course will discuss ways in which to improve global health and connect how global health challenges can affect local health issues.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- 1. Demonstrate an introductory level of knowledge of current global health problems, interventions and suggested solutions.
- 2. Describe the key determinants of health.
- 3. Illustrate social, moral and ethical dilemmas in global health.
- 4. Describe various health systems and importance of culture to health.
- 5. Explain the burden of disease in various parts of the world.
- 6. Recognize nutrition relating to women's health, child health in the world and various communicable disease and non-communicable diseases.
- 7. Compare and contrast regional global health policies.
- 8. Describe how science and technology has changed global health.
- 9. Identify ways in which to improve global health