BTS 109 Business Communications • 5 Cr.
Strengthens skills for effective professional verbal, written and non-verbal communication. Includes reinforcement of grammar and punctuation, writing and peer-editing, proofreading and revising, business writing strategies, and portfolio preparation. Projects include a presentation with visual tools, outline, citations and portfolio preparation of professionally written business messages. Prerequisite: BTS 110 or BTS 161 or equivalent experience and ENGL 092 or 093. Keyboarding skill recommended.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the importance of becoming a professional communicator in today’s changing workplace.
- Know how culture affects communication and know how to improve communication among diverse workplace audiences.
- Identify the three phases of the writing process.
- Write with a “you” view, maintain a conversational tone, and use positive language.
- Organize business messages using direct and indirect patterns.
- Use active voice, passive voice, and parallel structure effectively in written communication.
- Identify and fix misplaced modifiers in business messages.
- Write coherent paragraphs using good transition.
- Revise and proofread to eliminate grammar/punctuation errors, repetition, slang, clichés, and wordiness.
- Write smart and effective, e-mails and memos.
- Compose direct claim, request, adjustment letters as well as goodwill messages.
- Write effective persuasive messages and sales messages.
- Write bad-news messages sensitively and ethically.
- Prepare an oral presentation with appropriate visuals, correct citations, and an outline.
- Research resources to solve problems independently.