BTS 187 Publication Design for Print • 5 Cr.
Explores in-depth the current industry standard software to create and produce professional layouts and multipage publications for print. Topics include design principles, publication function, advertising principles and issues working with clients, typography, print considerations, color management, layout design, and management. Projects integrate design, advertising and client relations skills to create business cards, brochures, posters, directories, books, and banners. Prerequisite: BTS 161 or equivalent experience recommended.
Recommended: BTS 161 or equivalent experience. Fee: $57.50 and Vista $13.50.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use current industry-standard software applications to create advanced print publications.
- Apply design and advertising principles to create professional quality publications.
- Prepare for the production and packaging process in various print and electronic mediums.
- Apply efficient workflow practices for print and web publication.
- Understand and apply basic principles of raster and vector images.
- Understand and apply the differences in color models such as RGB, CMYK, and Color Matching Systems.
- Create functional publications that fulfill business needs and client expectations.
- Create business brochure, ads, labels, newsletters, books or catalogues using the principles described above.
- Link to professional organizations and utilize online design resources.
- Research resources to solve problems independently.