BTS 188 Digital Images for Desktop Publishing • 5 Cr.
Introduces industry standards in digital imaging software and devices to create, edit, and manipulate images for print and web. Topics include design principles, print and web standards and tools, editing, modifying, compositing, painting, drawing, repairing, color-correcting, and automating digital images for business. Projects include marketing materials such as posters, book covers, labels and ads for use in a final portfolio. Recommended: BTS 161 or BTS 186.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply current industry standard digital image editing software and design principles to edit, color correct, manipulate and enhance digital images.
- Apply the basic concepts of advertising, sales, design, and general business to the design process of digital images.
- Understand basic design principals and apply them to the creation and manipulation of digital images.
- Prepare images for use in all media, including web and print.
- Create professional quality digital images using a variety of tools including software, cameras and scanners for both print and web output.
- Distinguish the difference between image for web and print images
- Understand and apply the differences in color models such as RGB, CMYK, Color Matching Systems, LAB etc.
- Understand and apply color management and resolution principals to digital image workflows for web and print.
- Manage workflow for all outputs, web, print, monitor, video.
- Link to professional organizations and utilize online help and design resources.
- Research resources to solve problems independently
- Spring 2014 (current quarter)