BUSIT 103 SQL Fundamentals • 5 Cr.
Students learn the fundamentals of database structure and SQL (Structured Query Language). They learn techniques useful for querying databases and they learn to apply their skills in realistic scenarios extracting data and organizing it into meaningful information. Students gain experience with database servers and client tools. Recommended: Familiarity with spreadsheets or databases. Recommended: Familiarity with spreadsheets or databases.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Students will be able to:
- Explain the structure of tables in a relational database
- Explain how tables in a relational database relate to one another
- Create well structured tables
- Write SQL queries to retrieve data from a database
- Write SQL to join tables
- Write SQL to sort data appropriately
- Write SQL to filter data using logical operators and complex expressions
- Write SQL using subqueries
- Explain strategies for improving query performance
- Import data into a database from a variety of sources
- Export data from a relational database into a variety of formats
- Use client tools to work with a database server