CES 286 Popular Culture • 5 Cr.
Analyzes various forms of contemporary popular culture and its expression in mass media. Specific topics may include western and romance novels, consumerism, advertising, gender images, folklore, film, and music. Previously AMST 286.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of their own previously-held perspectives on the theme and explain how those perspectives may have changed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of trends in American thought and attitude regarding the theme.
- Discuss, orally or in writing, the theme showing the interrelation of historical events, literary works and social changes.
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize information from various sources/media and communicate that insight effectively.
- Winter 2015 (current quarter)