CMST& 102 Introduction to Mass Media • 5 Cr.
Examines the structure and operation of American mass media, including television, radio, newspapers, magazines, and film. Students analyze media influence on society and the relationships among media, audience, and government.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- After completing this class, students should be able to:
- • Analyze the impact of media messages on American culture, values, and political process.
- • Describe the historical and economic forces that shaped and continue to shape mass media.
- • Explain the significance of the First Amendment and explain its relevance to current affairs.
- • Compare and contrast American commercial media system with non-commercial media in the United States and other countries.
- • Analyze how content is shaped by the nature of particular media.
- • Apply media effectively to communicate with a particular audience.