CMST& 210 Interpersonal Communication • 5 Cr.
Focuses on effective interpersonal communication in relationships through lecture, class discussion, and activities. Topics addressed include: culture, language, nonverbal communication, listening, perception, and conflict management.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the principles of communication as applied to interpersonal relationships.
- Discuss the relationship between perception, self-concept, and communication.
- Explain communication competence and identify their own personal strengths and areas of needed improvement.
- Explain the influence of gender and culture on the interpersonal communication process.
- Identify the different types of listening styles and assess their effectiveness in specific situations.
- Describe the communication climate experienced in a relationship and make recommendations for improvement.
- Assess their use of language and nonverbal communication.
- Apply a collaborative conflict management approach to a specific situation.