CMST& 210 Interpersonal Communication • 5 Cr.
Focuses on interpersonal communication in relationships. Students explore perception, language, self-concept, self-disclosure, listening, and conflict resolution management, and experience the concepts through class activities.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define the process of communication and describe the specific qualities found in interpersonal relationships.
- Explain the relationship between perception, self-concept, and communication.
- Describe the characteristics of a competent communicator and the methods of improving language, nonverbal communication, and listening skills.
- Identify the common stages of interpersonal relationships and discuss the recommendations for improved relationship initiation, maintenance, and termination.
- Explain the influence of gender and culture in the interpersonal communication process.
- Discuss the nature of conflict and explain the effectiveness of the various approaches to conflict management.