CMST 107 Debate III • 5 Cr.
Continues material from CMST 106 with argumentation structure in basic parliamentary debate and speech. Requires a significant amount of time conducting research, preparing and debating. Students may choose to travel and compete at the collegiate level in speech & debate tournaments. Recommended: ENGL& 101 and CMST 106.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- 1. Explain and apply rules and responsibilities of parliamentary debate in advanced debate practice and competition.
- 2. Evaluate and analyze parameters of individual speech events during practice and competition.
- 3. Provide and analyze credible evidence to support premise during debate competition.
- 4. Communicate effectively in a group context and analyze effectiveness of interactions in preparation for and during debate competition.
- 5. Exhibit the ability to think critically and stimulate critical thinking in development and delivery of debate content and preparation of individual speech events.
- 6. Develop, analyze, and assess argument structures.
- 7. Identify, analyze and critique relevance of current news events to debate.
- 8. Illustrate ethical debate and speaking approaches during practice and competition.