CMST 151 Introduction to Public Relations • 5 Cr.
Provides an overview of the field of public relations from history to practice. Introduces writing, interviewing and publicity techniques and creates press kits for a variety of audiences. Prerequisite: CMST 141 or ENGL& 101.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- 1. Describe & identify key events in the history of public relations.
- 2. Describe the current and changing place of public relations in society.
- 3. Describe and respond to ethical considerations in public relations.
- 4. Develop PR strategies
- 5. Create press kits tailored to a variety of audiences.
- 6. Demonstrate an ability to write a coherent, audience-appropriate press release.
- 7. Describe and apply effective interview techniques.
- 8. Describe and apply effective techniques for representing an organization as a public spokesperson.
- 9. Effectively create and execute a pitch, illustrating how to get key messages published in broadcast, online and print media.
- 10. Describe & identify a key message.
- 11. Compare and contract public relations career opportunities in specialties and allied fields including community relations, media relations, investor relations, employee communications, promotions and events, issues management, fund-raising and marketing.