CMST 241 News Features & Magazine Writing • 5 Cr.
Intended for intermediate writers to focus on non-fiction writing for magazine, newspaper investigative features, and online publication. Covers research and interview techniques, editing and revision, and strategies for "pitching" and perfecting articles for publication. Prerequisite: CMST 141 or ENGL& 101 with a C- or better or entry code.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Distinguish between newspaper features and magazine writing.
- Apply stylistic techniques appropriate to different media (magazines, newspapers, online publications).
- Demonstrate effective and accurate interview and note-taking techniques.
- Demonstrate effective and accurate research techniques, particularly for investigative reporting.
- Demonstrate advanced writing skills to produce effective leads, sidebars, profiles, etc.
- Revise and edit for focus and grammar.
- Demonstrate techniques for pitching an article and story idea.