CMST 280 Intercultural Communication • 5 Cr.
Examines the effect of culture on the communication process. Students learn about the influence of culture on communication styles, language, and non-verbal communication. Students practice skills that contribute to intercultural competence.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain how environmental factors affect and make cultures different.
- Explain how cultural variables influence intercultural competency in communication
- Explain why appropriateness and effectiveness are critical in constructing messages in intercultural contexts.
- Explain how individualism and collectivism affect the communication in intercultural communication contexts
- Apply various models of cultural values to intercultural interactions.
- Define ethnocentrism and social comparison. Demonstrate your competence in applying the concepts across cultures.
- Identify and analyze one’s own cultural identity.