CMST 330 Intercultural Communication for the Professional • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
Intercultural Health Communication • 5 Cr.
Examines how a professional practitioner may positively engage in oral communication with a culturally dissimilar client or person in a variety of contexts. Students practice intercultural communication strategies and skills. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.
Description starting Summer 2015
Examines how a healthcare practitioner may engage in effective communication with culturally dissimilar individuals in a variety of contexts. Students practice intercultural strategies and skills. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.ram or permission of instructor.
Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define culture and identify various health belief systems.
- Analyze one's own cultural identity in relationship to the organizational culture.
- Describe the characteristics of intercultural competence and the methods for improving language, nonverbal communication and listening skills.
- Discuss the influence of culture on conflict and explain the various approaches to effective conflict management in the health care setting.
- Identify the components of collaborative communication in a diverse health care setting.