DANCE 130 Jazz Technique I • 2 Cr.
Develops the movement techniques that are the basis for a highly energized, theatrical style of jazz dance. May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credits.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the characteristic elements of exercise for a Jazz Dance Class.
- Learn progressive exercises to stretch, strengthen, align and condition the dancer's body.
- Understand how specific jazz movements in warm-up will later be incorporated into a dance combination.
- Understand how alignment and placement determine the dancers ability to turn, jump or move fluidly through space.
- Perform isolation exercises while standing or moving across the floor.
- Combine the elements of technique, coordination and memory to learn a dance combination.