DANCE 201 Dance Ensemble I • V1-5 Cr.
Emphasizes dance as a performing art form. Students learn in various settings, including a company class, formal and informal improvisation, and solo or small group work. Course may be repeated for a maximum of 15 credits. Prerequisite: Audition and permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use intermediate/advanced contemporary and jazz technique, exhibiting principles of proper alignment, phrasing, dynamics and vocabulary
- Perform challenging dance phrase work and choreography with proper placement, phrasing, dynamics and style Perform a number of choreographic styles with confidence
- Display artistic expression through movement by using focus, projection and stage presence
- Create and analyze dance variations which could be developed into choreography
- Use dance habits of mind, proper dance etiquette and professionalism while working as an ensemble in classes, rehearsals and performances (as outlined in the syllabus)
- Analyze and critique a dance piece through attending and watching performances