DOSM 331 Dosimetry of Particle Beam Therapy • 3 Cr.
Explores treatment planning techniques for electron beam therapy. Topics include clinical usage, treatment applications, energy and field size selection, dose and MU calculations, calculations for and concerns with matching of electron ports, and beam shielding modifying devices. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the clinical situations for the use of particle beam therapy
- Analyze the isodose patterns for various particle beams
- Describe the effects of beam modification on particle beam therapy
- Analyze the benefits and risks of various particle beams used for treating patients
- Define the Therapeutic Range for electron beams
- Discuss the importance of the Bragg-Peak for proton and heavy charged particle therapy
- Calculate the MU setting for a range of electron prescriptions
- Calculate the dose to a point in an electron field
- Define the role of the Virtual Source for MU calculations
- Properly choose energy and field size for various clinical situations.
- State the clinical issues of field matching and abutting ports for electron-electron and electron-photon plans.
- Discuss the roles of special utilization of electron beams via Electron Arc and Total Skin electron therapies