DOSM 401 Clinical Education I • 8 Cr.
Supervised clinical education in medical dosimetry that progresses through a competency-based educational sequence. Course totals 264 hours. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply the principles of radiation protection to clinical practice.
- Apply safe, ethical, and legal practices to clinical practice.
- Import CT images into the treatment planning system (TPS).
- Review CT simulation data for accuracy.
- Contour anatomy accurately using the various contouring tools in the TPS.
- Construct beam arrangements for basic treatment plans.
- Design field shaping using multileaf (MLC) collimators.
- Select appropriate treatment devices for a treatment plan.
- Identify appropriate placement of calculation points in the treatment plan.
- Perform a dose calculation using the TPS.
- Evaluate a computerized treatment plan for achievement of the planning directive.
- Develop and analyze a basic treatment plan.
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)