DRMA 154 Musical Theatre Acting Fundamentals • 3 Cr.
Introduces acting in musical theatre. Practical application of basic acting techniques for playing objectives and developing character are used to combine music, lyrics and written word into performance. Solos, duets and group scenes and songs are explored. Recommended DRMA 151.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform a variety of warms ups for rehearsal and performance.
- Maintain concentration while singing, acting and moving onstage.
- Identify a character's objective and obstacle in a musical, a musical scene and a song.
- Perform the music, lyric and speech of a character, and explain how each impacts the others.
- Pursue objective and intent equally while singing and acting.
- Present a solo musical theatre piece with confidence, conviction and character.