EDUC& 150 Child, Family, Community • 3 Cr.
Integrate the family and community contexts in which a child develops. Explore cultures and demographics of families in society, community resources, strategies for involving families in the education of their child, and tools for effective communication. Previously ECED 201. Either ECED 201 or EDUC& 150 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss demographic trends of children and families today.
- Identify influences on children’s development and socialization process.
- Establish tools for communicating and creating relationships with families that are respectful, inclusive and reflect an understanding of cultural and community influences.
- Articulate the benefits of family-centered programs and the importance of supporting parents as their child’s first and most important teacher.
- Describe strategies for engaging families in their children’s learning and development.
- Discuss the importance of collaborating with other community programs to support the needs of children and families.
- Identify community resources and create strategies for connecting children and families to those resources.
- Develop environments that reflect family and community diversity and prevent bias.