EDUC& 204 Exceptional Child • 5 Cr.
Examines the educational, social, and developmental patterns of children with special needs. Students explore the impact of disabilities on the children, their families, and on their futures. Includes information about federal and state legislation and programs designed for children with special needs. Recommended: EDUC& 115, ECED& 160, ECED& 170.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define the terms, language, and legislative acts used in the field of special education.
- Describe characteristics of, and classroom accommodations for the 14 disabilities categories defined in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Compare and contrast placement types, options and attributes for children identified as having special needs.
- Articulate the 10 step process for identification and placement for children with special needs.
- Fall 2015 (current quarter)