EDUC& 205 Introduction to Education with Field Experience • 5 Cr.
Details the history, development, purposes, and processes of education. Students examine the teaching-learning process. Format includes lecture, discussion, and lab.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss some of the major trends in the educational system in the United States
- Reflect on different aspects of the teaching-learning process through the active participation in an elementary classroom
- Examine the issues of excellence and equity in the school system and reflect on whether American schools have succeeded in reaching these goals.
- Understand and explain the historical development of American public schools
- Name and discuss the major philosophies which have shaped educational policy and practices in American schools
- Understand and discuss personal philosophical beliefs and how they relate to education and the way teachers teach
- Understand and discuss how the concepts of diversity and culture affect education of America
- Name and explain the different facets of the teaching process
- Define “curriculum” and “instruction” and explain how they form the specific content for the learner
- Identify different methods of instruction
- Understand the district school board process
- Understand the teacher certification process