ELIUP 033 Reading I • 4.5 Cr.
Students learn to scan, locate specific information, improve comprehension, make connections between sounds and letters, build vocabulary, and use a dictionary. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate skimming and scanning skills in a limited time frame
- Explain the literal meaning of a reading passage Identify specific details and main ideas
- Explain feelings about a reading passage
- Make basic inferences based on given information
- Make connections between sounds and letters
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic spelling rules and use a dictionary to find correctly spelled words
- Compile and use a vocabulary base of correctly spelled words