ELIUP 041 Writing Level II • 4.5 Cr.
Students learn and practice more difficult sentence structures, verb tenses, modals, comparatives, adverbs of manner, and the usage of determiners and modifiers with nouns. Writing instruction emphasizes organization, transitions, examples and details, and topic sentences. Students begin to develop paragraphs. Course is linked with ELIUP 042. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Compose grammatical and logical simple and compound sentences
- Produce grammatically sound and logical paragraphs that demonstrate knowledge of essential component tasks:
- Organizing ideas
- Writing a topic sentence with a subject and a controlling idea
- Supporting the topic sentence with examples and details
- Using time transitions to increase coherence
- Proofreading and editin
- Produce a grammatical, coherent 8-10 sentence narrative or basic expository paragraph within 45 minutes on a topic assigned by the instructor with the aid of a dictionary
- Use correct punctuation within a sentence—end marks, commas in compound sentences and after transition words, hyphenation between syllables, apostrophes in possessives and contractions