ELIUP 051 Writing Level III • 4.5 Cr.
Students master control of basic verb tenses in increasingly advanced intermediate level sentences and situations. They identify and produce accurate compound and complex sentences using passive, pronouns, and modals. Students apply the process of writing to paragraphs, mastering narrative, descriptive and expository modes. Greater accuracy of syntax and grammar are expected. Course is linked with ELIUP 052. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use correct Level 3 grammar.
- Use the writing process from brainstorming to final draft.
- Write a variety of compositions as homework and in-class writings.
- Develop thoughtful and relevant supporting details.
- Organize paragraphs clearly and logically.
- Use sentence variety in paragraphs.
- Write correct sentences and avoid common sentence errors.
- Proofread and edit written work.
- Punctuate correctly.