ELIUP 053 Reading III • 4.5 Cr.
Students develop and practice comprehensive and critical reading skills including skimming, scanning, vocabulary development, etc. Identifying the author's main point of view and expressing an opinion about the passage are also emphasized. Study skills include finding materials in the library and interpreting graphs and tables. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Employ scanning and expanded skimming skills to quickly locate such things as definitions, enumerations, relationships between headings, definitions, examples, signal words, etc.
- Perform basic reading skills such as locating main ideas, identifying author’s point of view, confirming or revising predictions, drawing conclusions and making inferences
- Outline and summarize a paragraph and short selection
- Express an opinion about a passage
- Use knowledge of word parts and context clues to guess meanings of words
- Use a dictionary to find correct definitions, parts of speech, usage, syllables, and stress
- Locate appropriate level reading materials in a library or on-line appropriate and locate information using library resources
- Read and interpret graphs, tables, and charts