ELIUP 066 American Culture • 4.5 Cr.
Students learn about and discuss values, assumptions, communication styles, behavior, and other aspects of cultural and ethnic diversity, concentrating specifically on American culture. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the differences between beliefs, values, and norms in a culture
- Identify common beliefs, values, and norms of an American
- Identify common American communication patterns
- Identify common behaviors and ways of reasoning of an American
- Demonstrate an awareness of the similarities and differences between the culture in the US and their native cultures
- Use their greater understanding of culture and American culture specifically to interact more appropriately while in the US
- Use this understanding to feel more comfortable interacting in a second culture
- Think more globally