ELIUP 073 Read & React V • 4.5 Cr.
Emphasis is on authentic material at a high level. Students read, interpret, evaluate, and discuss adult/college level fiction or non-fiction. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Confirm or revise predictions made prior to reading a passage, draw conclusions and make inferences, and identify author’s point of view
- Analyze fiction through identification of plot, character, setting, theme, style, tone and language
- Analyze non-fiction by recognizing rhetorical organization, types of support, style, tone and language
- Apply reading skills to respond appropriately to questions about readings and express an opinion relevant to the content of a passage using reasons and evidence
- Summarize, paraphrase and synthesize ideas in a reading
- Evaluate one’s own biases and values and acknowledge the perspectives of others
- Find specific materials in the library and on-line, evaluate the quality of internet resources for authority, objectivity, accuracy, currency, and cite sources using an MLA format