ELIUP 074 Exploring Contemporary Issues • 4.5 Cr.
Course integrates instruction in speaking and listening skills through the exploration of contemporary topics. High interest topics are selected and current articles, videos and/or guest speakers are used to introduce new language and improve students' skills. Students work in teams to "present" their topics in class. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Analyze, paraphrase, and summarize current events in conversation.
- Clearly express and support an opinion.
- Synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- Share ideas and organize, divide, and complete tasks as part of a team.
- Recognize audience expectations and level of knowledge.
- Prepare and deliver an effective lengthy presentation.
- Take notes on main ideas and details from a listening, and use them to answer questions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a presentation.