ELIUP 074 Exploring Contemporary Issues • 4.5 Cr.
Course integrates instruction in speaking and listening skills through the exploration of contemporary topics. High interest topics are selected and current articles, videos and/or guest speakers are used to introduce new language and improve students' skills. Students work in teams to "present" their topics in class. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:DISCUSSION
- Analyze and explain current events in conversation
- Paraphrase and summarize ideas
- Clearly express an opinion
- Support views with reasons and evidence
- Expand on content or ideas expressed in a conversation, debate, reading, video, etc.
- Synthesize information from a variety of sources (newspaper and magazine articles, reference materials, video, audio).
- Cooperate in a team setting to organize and divide tasks.
- Work effectively in a small group structure to promote the sharing of ideas and accomplish a set task.
- Analyze audience expectations and level of knowledge
- Prepare, describe and follow the structure (organization) of a presentation
- Use effective transitions between ideas
- Clearly define new terms
- Use examples to clarify information
- Prepare visual and/or audio aids to enhance a presentation
- Clearly articulate a point of view and support it with reasons and evidence
- Summarize main points and draw a conclusion
- Hold the interest of the audience
- Use appropriate language, gestures and body language
- Identify main ideas and supporting details from a lecture or other audio source
- Answer main idea and factual questions based on notes
- Paraphrase and summarize aural information
- Evaluate effectiveness of an oral presentation (self and others)