ELIUP 084 English Through Music • 4.5 Cr.
Presents English grammar and vocabulary through songs in English. Students listen to different types of music (in English) to recognize and respect different perspectives of music. Students survey others about music and present their favorite songs in English to the class. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use songs in English to identify and review several of the following grammar structures: verb tense (including simple present, past, and future, progressive and perfect); gerunds, conditionals, and passive voice; modals; pronouns; determiners; and dependent clauses.
- Demonstrate the use of new vocabulary, idioms, and slang in the context of songs.
- Demonstrate the use of new vocabulary, idioms, and slang in class discussions and beyond.
- Identify different genres of music.
- Identify the chorus, verse(s), and bridge in music.
- Discuss video materials related to music.
- Generate ideas about songs independently and in group discussions.
- Interpret different meanings of songs.
- Recognize their own biases and values about music.
- Recognize and respect diverse perspectives of music.