ENGL& 113 Introduction to Poetry • 5 Cr.
Introduces the style, structure, and techniques of poetry. Students read, analyze, and interpret works of major poets. Recommended: ENGL& 101 placement or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an increased level of comfort with the various forms of poetry.
- Define and recognize various poetic techniques such as connotation/denotation, simile/metaphor, symbol/allegory, irony/satire.
- Identify and use terminology specific to poetry that describes a poem’s sounds, rhythm, rhyme, and specific formats (if present).
- Evaluate poetry
- Recognize major poets
- Read, analyze, and explicate complex poetry at an inferential level with greater insight and wider perspective.
- Improve writing skills
- Appreciate poetry
- Spring 2017 (current quarter)