ENGL& 225 Shakespeare II • 5 Cr.
Continues ENGL& 224 (prev ENGL 231) examining additional comedies, tragedies, and histories. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comfortable level of reading and understanding the language of Shakespeare, in poems and plays
- Show a sense of Elizabethan culture and history
- Recognize the difference between early and late plays, in order become aware of Shakespeare’s development a an artist
- Develop a process of analyzing plays and sonnets
- Demonstrate improved inferential skills
- Read both comedies and tragedies with insight
- Identify controlling ideas and themes characteristic of Shakespeare’s plays
- Develop writing-about=literature skills and techniques
- Practice effective group skills
- Demonstrate oral presentation skills
- ENJOY reading, discussing, and writing about Shakespeare
- Assess own skills