ENGL& 245 American Literature II • 5 Cr.
Surveys American literature of the Realistic period. Authors and works vary, but typically include Dickinson, James, Adams, Howells, Crane, Dreiser, and Twain. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of American history, philosophy, and culture as reflected in the literature.
- Demonstrate an awareness of varying points of view within this culture, including women and other minority voices whenever possible
- Identify major themes and ideas
- Recognize how style relates to content in various writers’ works
- Apply the analytical process to literary works
- Apply writing skills to analyzing literature