ENGL& 235 Technical Writing • 5 Cr.
Focuses on the development of professional skills in research, design, and communication of technical information. Emphasis on audience analysis, clear and effective writing style, and use of visual elements, by creating documents in a variety of professional report formats, such as memos, proposals, progress reports, completion reports, and instruction manuals. Computer use is required. Fulfills a written communication course requirement at BC. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 or equivalent course from another college with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Write documents such as summaries, instruction manuals, analyses, proposals, and research reports, using accepted professional formats
- Design a research strategy to solve a specific problem for a specific client
- Conduct secondary and primary research
- Propose a clearly reasoned, convincingly supported solution to a client's problem
- Paraphrase, summarize, and quote information with integrity and documentsources accurately, following the accepted form for the field of inquiry
- Design visually effective documents and presentations
- Revise and edit to improve clarity, economy, and rhetorical effectiveness