ENGL 092 Developmental English • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
Introductory College Reading and Writing II • 5 Cr.
Emphasizes advanced editing and critical thinking skills. Students learn to meet composition objectives by writing, revising, and editing essays in one class period and by analyzing their work from other classes. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment.
Description starting Summer 2015
Students meet composition objectives by reading, writing, revising and editing essays and strengthening college study skills. Course work includes readings from a variety of sources and classroom instruction in sentence structure and variety. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use all stages of the writing process effectively
- Identify the needs of their audience
- Produce a substantive topic
- Create a unified, coherent, and well-developed piece of writing which consistently follows appropriate conventions of Standard English
- Use a variety of purposes for essay construction, such as analysis, exposition, and/or persuasion.
- Demonstrate ability to recognize some strengths and weaknesses in their own writing, based on specified criteria.