ENGL 131 Introduction to Literature II • 5 Cr.
Surveys the major literary genres: poetry, drama, and fiction. Recommended: ENGL& 101 placement or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an increased level of comfort with the genres: poetry, drama, fiction.
- Identify and use terminology specific to literature.
- Recognize some major authors.
- Read, analyze, and explicate complex literature at both the literal and inferential levels.
- Develop a process of analyzing works of literature.
- Use evidence from text to support a thesis.
- Enjoy literature and appreciate unique characteristics of each genre.
- Apply writing skills to analyzing literature.